I haven’t updated the blog in a while, partly because I’ve been so busy, but also because of the sheer frustration we’ve experienced in the last three months. I’m gonna make this post a braindump, so apologies for the poor grammar and flow.
The good news out of this is that the boat is going to be near perfect by the time we are done, but it’s been a long and difficult road getting there. I can’t stress enough how fortunate we are to know our friend John and have family that have let us stay with them while we sort this mess out.
Basically, the rudder rebuild finished this week (see picture from my last post) and we got a new tiller. The new rudder is amazing, it’s smooth, well balanced, and really well shaped. When you push the rudder to one side, then let it go, it falls right back into place. The operation of the rudder is smooth as butter. I can’t even compare this to the barn door and bent shaft on the last rudder.
We also ran into a problem where the stuffing box and tube were installed crooked on the boat. I believe this happened day one and someone at the factory really screwed up, we estimate it was never installed correctly. That’s been sorted out and it’s straight as can be, which is a major contributor to the smoothness of the rudder.
As prior pictures demonstrated, we have a new tiller. It’s artwork and I love it, the height is perfect to pass over your knees sitting down, it’s all teak and is absolutely beautiful.
The electrical system is being completely revamped, I’ve pulled the entire panel off and am rewiring the back of the panel similar to how we did on Mariah. We’re terminating all remote wire runs at terminal strips, which are run to bus bars, then the power source. The result will be much cleaner, I’ll post pictures later.
We’re installing a new thru-hull and seacock for the engine. Previously, the engine was T-d off of the head. I’d rather have them separate and now was the time to do it.
We’re relocating the fridge compressor. The fridge that was in the boat originally died the week we bought the boat, due to corrosion on the lines. The location of the compressor was exposing the lines to water, which resulted in a lower life of the compressor. In addition, ventilation was poor. We’re going to install the compressor inside the cabin behind a louvered door and with a fan to help circulate air over the unit.
We’re relocating the batteries. Previously, the batteries were located in a locker with the fridge compressor. We’ve removed all of the cabinetry inside the locker and put the batteries inside the cabin, beneath a settee. The result is a much cleaner installation of the electrical system that can be accessed much easier. In addition, the batteries will be located lower and directly parallel with the water tank, balancing weight out. The battery switch will also be in a much better location that can be easily accessed from inside of the boat.
We have replaced the hoses for the scuppers. That was a nightmare, we had to pull the thru hulls, install angled barbs, then install the hoses. The original design was flawed in that the hoses really weren’t replaceable. That’s been fixed.
We’re bottom painting in the next week or so, Trinidad Pro, which should hold up for a few years, at least. We’re done taking down the barrier coat and will be rolling it on shortly.
We’re installing a new prop shaft. The prior shaft was too small and would make a horrible racket when put into forward. We’re gonna have to extend it by about 1/2”.
The exhaust chamber was installed above the engine, which means water could backflow and flood the engine. That’s being fixed.
We were supposed to move aboard last May, but the revelation that the rudder needed rebuilt basically threw that out the window. What’s happened is a series of discoveries that the boat needed massive amounts of work. I won’t lie, it’s been frustrating, but I like knowing that everything will be fixed correctly and not be unknown. It’s frustrating that the work has taken so long, but in the end, the boat will be better than new and will be far more functional.
Our hope is that all the work will be completed in the next 3-4 weeks, so we can finally move aboard and get on with boat life 🙂